DUMONT, N.J. — There was one thing William McDonnell wasn't leaving behind in a fire that damaged his Dumont house earlier this month.
His dog, Summer.
The eighth grader saved Summer from the Dec. 15 fire and met his parents safely on the other side.
Everything else was lost in the flames.
A GoFundMe has been launched to help the McDonnells rebuild.
"The house is damaged and they can't live there," the page says.
"They lost all their possessions and need to start from scratch."
More than $10,000 had been raised as of Wednesday morning.
"The shock of losing their house is wearing off and reality is setting in as they start to work with the insurance company and look for a new temporary home," the page says. "[The family] would like to thank everyone for their words of encouragement, thoughts, and prayers."
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.