HOW YOU CAN HELP: More is needed to help a Dumont family cope with a fire that drove them from their home.
As of late yesterday, more than $21,000 had been raised by friends, relatives and strangers for the Boos family, whose home was struck by a sudden fire that destroyed their kitchen, charred walls and floors in other rooms and left the entire house damaged.
A cat and a parrot were rescued in the Thursday morning blaze, which was put down less than 10 minutes after it was reported. But their puppy died, as well as a dog they were watching, loved ones said.
What’s more, “although the house itself can be repaired, they have lost almost everything due to the fire, smoke and water damage,” said Danielle Boos’s sister, Jackie Yasika Burke. “The house was deemed unihabitable and they have to replace almost everything.”
The family is known throughout town.
Dennis Boos, an EMS worker at University Hospital in Newark who is on the state EMS Task Force, has volunteered for the Dumont Ambulance corps. Danielle Boos works for Avon.
Besides money, the family needs essentials such as toothbrushes. Dennis Boos joked that they could also use plenty of sporks.
Their young girl is a size 7 and boy a size 5.
“Please keep in mind they do not yet have a place to live and are storing what little they have in a neighbor’s garage,” Burke emphasized. “So although everything is appreciated, money or gift cards are best so they can get what they need as they need it.”
She is accepting donations at The Shop, 34 W. Madison Ave., Dumont, or at her home.
For MORE INFO or to DONATE, CLICK HERE :
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.