YOU READ IT HERE FIRST: A cooking oil fire at a Bergenfield pizzeria was quickly put out but kept the business closed until the stove hood and extinguisher system could be tended to, borough police said this afternoon.
The fire broke out on a stove where oil was being heated at Bergenfield Pizza on South Washington Avenue just after 10:30 a.m., Bergenfield Police Capt. Cathy Madalone said.
Police and firefighters responded and found that the extinguisher system had squelched the flames, she said.
Firefighters found no extension in the building, then ventilated the smoke out, the captain said.
Officials from both the building and health departments in the borough responded, she said. A PSE&G worker in the area confirmed the stove’s gas was turned off, she said.
“The business remains closed until the stove hood system is cleaned and the extinguishing system is refilled,” Madalone said.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.