BERGENFIELD, N.J. -- A Bergenfield woman avoided tragedy after she called police to report a strange odor and what looked like smoke in her basement: Firefighters found a missing flue pipe from a gas-fired boiler that was spewing carbon monoxide.
After shutting down the boiler, ventilating the house and notifying PSE&G, firefighters discovered that the homeowner's carbon monoxide detector in the basement hadn't sounded.
As the weather start to get cooler, and home heating is turned on, carbon monoxide risks increase.That's why members of FMBA Local 65 said they hoped that residents used the time to move clocks back on Nov. 1 to also change the batteries in their smoke detectors and carbon monoxide alarms.
Firefighters who responded to the odor call found CO levels in the home at more than 300 parts per million, union members said.
Between 200-400 ppm, victims could experience headaches, fatigue, nausea and dizziness, they said. After three hours, the effects could be life-threatening.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.