NEW MILFORD, N.J. — The New Milford Fire Department will host its 24th annual toy drive on Sunday, Dec. 13.
The department has collected up to 500 toys per year with the help of the Girl Scouts and the Department of Social Services. Department officials said they want to keep the focus on children in the borough, those some toys may be distributed to the Division of Child Protection and Permanency.
“What’s good about this versus Toys For Tots is that it is in our town and in our community,” said Kiefer Handschuh, a firefighter who was raised in New Milford.
George Saigh, a past president of Fire Company No. 2, former Fire Chief Bob Ryan, and several others have been involved with the event since it began in 1992.
“Rain or shine, rain or snow, we’re out there,” Saigh said. “I sent flyers to the schools, the synagogue and local churches, so we try to get everybody involved, and we hope for the best.”
Santa will be collecting toys for the donation at the following locations:
- 1 p.m. 305 Graphic Blvd. (with the Girl Scouts)
- 1:20 p.m. Brookchester Shopping Center in front of CVS Pharmacy
- 1:40 p.m. Shoprite
- 2 p.m. Brookchester - Faller Drive Circle
- 2:10 p.m. New Milford Fire Company No. 2
- 2:30 p.m. Perrone’s Farm on River Road
- 2:50 Gibbs School front entrance
- 3:05 p.m. 70 River Rd. (with the Girl Scouts)
- 3:20 p.m. New Milford Fire Company No. 1
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.